How to clean your oven without nasty chemicals
No one enjoys household chores but cleaning your oven is up there with the worst of them. The mere thought of tackling all the stuck-on grime and grease is enough to put you off! Many popular oven cleaners contain a host of nasty chemicals, capable of causing damage to your body and the rest of your kitchen. Amongst other things, they can burn your skin if you don’t wear gloves and cause severe irritation to the eyes, nose and throat. Scary stuff!
Cleaning your oven without chemicals is surprisingly easy and cheap, requiring just two products.
- Baking soda
Here’s how to do it:
- Empty the oven. Remove all oven racks, baking trays and anything else that might be lurking in there.
- Place half a cup of baking soda into a bowl and add around 3 tablespoons of water. Add more water if needed until the mixture has formed a paste.
- Spread the paste all over the inside of the oven, avoiding the heating elements. It could be a good idea to wear gloves for this bit if your oven is really grimy. Pay attention to any particularly greasy areas.
- Let this mixture sit in the oven overnight or for 12 hours so it can really get to work on the grease.
- While the mixture is doing its work, you can clean your oven racks. You can use any leftover baking soda and vinegar mixture to clean them in the sink or just whip up some more.
- After 12 hours take a damp cloth and wipe off as much of the dried paste as you can. If there’s any hard to reach or stubborn areas, a plastic spatula can help.
- Put some vinegar in a spray bottle and spray any areas with residual baking soda, creating a gentle foam.
- Using the damp cloth, wipe out the rest of the mixture and repeat until all the residue has gone.
- Replace oven racks and baking trays.
- Stand back and admire your clean shiny oven!
Get yourself a Neff oven! Their Pyrolytic self-cleaning technology heats the inside of the oven up to extremely high temperatures, turning grease, residue and food spillages into ash, which you can then easily wipe away. Easy, convenient and chemical free. What more could you ask for?!
Get in touch if you want to know more about how you can make your life easier with a Neff self-cleaning oven.